Monday, March 21, 2011

Why am I here?

So.  Here I am.  I decided to start this blog for a bunch of reasons:
I have been a journaler for quite a few years now and I've found it to be very therapeutic.  I have hundreds of pages which I have recently consolidated in chronological order with letters, notes and medical records.  The medical records are largely related to my depression.
I have also been through a variety of hobbies that I spent a fortune on, went with for a while and then abandoned for various reasons. I would like to share some of these with you in future posts.  I seem to have found the things that work for me now (beading, crazy quilting, tatting and origami) and am learning, learning, learning and I love it.
I also want to talk about my depression and depression in general.  I would especially like to help friends and family members to understand a loved one who is suffering.  I am not cured by any stretch of the imagination but I do feel like I have it under control - for now.  I still have episodes but I am able to hold on to the fact that the episodes pass.  I am on medication and believe that I would be completely non-functional without it (been there)
I have recently decided that I can call myself an artist.  That I feel like an artist.  That I can be proud of my work and that I want to share it. 
People will often say "You should sell this stuff" but no one ever offers to buy it.  So I thought maybe I could get some help and advice about that sort of stuff.  As it is, I do the fun parts and never really complete anything.  My profile photo is the only item I completed from drawing to beading to having it framed professionally.  The rest I kind of stick in store bought frames to give or pack away so I can start the next one.
I would like to acknowledge and thank Pamela at Kitty and Me who has inspired me to use my creativity to cope with and manage my depression.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Artsy Fartsy, I will be more than happy to give you all the time you need to learn, learn, learn. You have started a great blog and to add a bit of personal info is a great way to open a forem and inform people about the way depression touches us all, although some much more than others. You seem to have a very creative streak and I am looking forward to hearing and seeing more. I would say Good Luck but I don't think you'll need it. You will succeed.

    ReplyDelete