Monday, November 28, 2011

Opals

When I was in high school I had two friends (well I had more than two friends, but I'm talking about these two in particular) who were sisters and their father was a jeweler.  They dealt in opals and would go to Australia from time to time to buy raw opals.  Their opals were the most beautiful, richly coloured stones ever.  When I got older and a job and some disposable income, I start looking for an opal ring.  I was only able to find the milky kind of pasty opals which I wasn't all that fond of but since they were the only ones I could find, I bought a ring.  Skip ahead several years - I've gained weight, the ring doesn't fit, I'm disliking the milkiness more and more so I quit wearing the ring (as a little aside here I lent the ring to my loving daughter who promptly lost it - or sold it, I'm not sure which).

Well D and I were wandering around a local mall a few months back and we stopped to look at a silver jewelry kiosk.  Lo and behold!  No, it wasn't my friends from school, but they did have the pretty opals.  Rings, bracelets, earrings, necklaces.  The store is called "Silver Magnolia".  I tried on a couple of rings and after hemming and hawing and saying I would come back, D, knowing me as she does, knew I was not going to go back and get it so she bought it for me for my birthday.  That was back in September and I would have told you all about this sooner but I can't take a decent picture of it.  On the website, the closest I could find was this:
Mine is a little wider and has three stones.  Spectacular and I love it.  They also had a half price sale on earrings, so she got me a pair of those too.  (Can't find anything even close on their site)

Now I'm saving for the bracelet but it is so expensive I'm not sure I could justify spending that kind of money on it and if I did buy it, would I be comfortable wearing it or would it just make me think of what the money could have been used for every time I look at it.  It's a moot point right now because I only have $112.00 saved up.  Anyway, here's the bracelet:
The pictures don't really do justice to the colours in the opals but you get the idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment