Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Lies

I recently read a book called "17 Lies that are holding you back and the truth that will set you free".  I know, long name right.  It was written by Steve Chandler and it's really good very easy to read without a lot of psychological junk.  I also read, or tried to read "100 Ways to Motivate Yourself" it's not so good. 
The 17 lies are laid out very clearly, it's an easy read and although not all of them apply to me the ones that do were pretty thought provoking.  I'm getting ready to read it again a little more carefully and try to put some of my thoughts on paper when they come to me.  The truths part was not so helpful but I think that's because I was still preoccupied with the lies so I wasn't taking it in so well.  The ones that stood out the most to me are:

2.  There's something wrong with me. (This is a big one for me.  I'm sure you've heard me say it - or seen me write it)
4.  I can't because I'm afraid.
6.  There's nothing I can do.
10.  People really upset me.
11.  Winning the lottery would solve everything.
15.  That's just the way I am (This is another big one for me)
17.  I am helpless.

If you go to Amazon.com you can see the table of contents that lists all 17 lies.  Obviously, not all of what he says applies to a person who is depressed because of the parts of the illness that are beyond our control.  There are some really good insights here.  I have requested his book "Re-inventing Yourself" from the library and I'll let you know what I think about that one.  I  recommend you check this one out (of the library that is, ha ha) because I found it quick, straightforward and helpful.

1 comment:

  1. The one person that is most destructive to our esteem and ability to move forward is ourself... that internal voice of ours that tells us we can't do this... or that is too hard... or something along those lines.

    If you look at the items you did list, it is something that each of us is in charge of... no?

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete