Thursday, February 7, 2013

No title

You'll be happy to know I'm reading yet another "self-help" book.  This one is called "The Gifts of Imperfection:  Let go of who you think you're supposed to be and embrace who you are" by Brene Brown.  It's a good one as self help books go and I have been gaining some interesting insights into myself from it.  Still though, I'm not entirely sure what to do with all this new and wonderful knowledge.  I will share those insights when I'm done the book.  Hopefully by then I will have some practical application for the stuff.  I hit a serious roadblock when I got to the chapter called "Cultivating a Resilient Spirit".  It's about having, or as she says is possible "creating", hope.  I can't really explain why this topic is so painful to me but let me tell you I didn't get too far into it before I was in tears and feeling crushed.  Right now, all I can think is that hope and resilience seem to be so far out of reach for me.

In other news:  Jessica had a rough week, she and her boyfriend broke up.  Exactly when or why I don't know - she doesn't talk to me about "stuff".  She didn't get accepted into journalism at Algonquin and she interviewed for a job she didn't get.  This week she got into Media and Communications and she has another job interview today.

Derek got his G1 (learning driver's permit) and is looking forward to learning how to drive.  John is going to teach him in the truck.  We will probably look into getting him some driving lessons to try and keep the insurance costs down.  Even if John was to never let him drive the truck (which is pretty likely once the teaching is done) we will still have to pay insurance as if he is a secondary driver = $$$$$.

Also, I think I will start typing in some of the entries from my old pen and paper journal, so if you see an old date in the title, that's the day I've typed in.

We went to see "Lord of the Dance" on Sunday.  I thoroughly enjoyed it but I have to say the version we saw years ago was better.  John bought the DVD for me at a ridiculous price of $35 and it's great, only my favourite number is in the "deleted scenes" - it's an outrage.  I'll still watch it though.  It has since occurred to me to have my VHS tape of the original version converted to DVD.  Apparently you can buy a kit that somehow connects your VCR to your computer or there are companies that will do it for you.  I'm not sure which way to go.  Jessica has a number of tapes that she would like to have converted to DVD so I think John is leaning towards a kit.  Those kinds of things scare me because it has been my experience that these things never really work as well as they say they will and no one in this house has any computer savy to fiddle with that sort of thing if it doesn't work right right away - if you know what I mean.





I wish I had something witty to say to make you laugh but I got nothin'.

2 comments:

  1. She, I've heard this before, "Let go of who you think you're supposed to be and embrace who you are" makes sense in theory, but I've yet to give myself up and I don't believe we have to. Looking forward to your New/Old journaling. Love you lots.

    ReplyDelete

  2. This amazing internet site undoubtedly provides all of the details I wanted regarding this subject as well as didn’t understand who have individuals. buy and sell runescape accounts

    ReplyDelete